Did you ever get sent to bed with a warm glass of milk to help the snooze come faster? This old folktale has some controversy around whether it works — science says chances are low. But that doesn’t mean we can’t update this recipe with several science-backed spins.
体育投注网址You’ve seen them all over the internet: Viral, colorful milks — from strawberry milk to the ever-popular golden milk. As delicious as they look (and are), they also can aid in sleep, relaxation, muscle recovery, and inflammation.
Sip them as a healthy evening dessert or add them to your evening bedtime ritual to inspire sweet dreams. We’ve whipped up two personalized recipes for satisfying sleep — and four other options you can cozy up with!
We all know that trendy golden milk has a powerhouse of health benefits. From fighting inflammation to supplying ample antioxidants, turmeric体育投注网址 does it all. The common Ayurvedic medicinal spice is also widely used to aid in sleep quality.
Initial mice studies have found that turmeric can
Our recipe: Warm, golden turmeric milk
- 2 cups milk of your choice (whole, coconut, almond, etc.)
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 1-inch piece of fresh, peeled ginger
- 1 tbsp. honey or maple syrup
- Warm the milk, turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, and honey or maple syrup in a small saucepan until it simmers hot.
- Whisk well to dissolve spices and divide into two mugs.
Golden milk for sleep
- fights inflammation
- protects against oxidative damage and sleep deprivation
- promotes relaxation and lowers anxiety levels
Drinking matcha before bed is a bit of a controversial topic due to the caffeine present in green tea. However, the caffeine content in matcha is relatively low () and is balanced by the presence of the compound L-theanine.
A cup of antioxidant-rich matcha milk before bed can have positive effects on your anxiety levels,
Make this: Try this , which takes only 6 minutes to make!
Matcha milk for sleep
- promotes relaxation due to L-theanine
- has positive effects on mood and anxiety
- can help with maintaining a healthy weight
Vitamin B-6, for example, is excellent for balancing the sleep-wake cycle and
Our recipe: Strawberry milk
- 4 tbsp. strawberry puree
- 2 cups roughly chopped strawberries
- 2 tbsp. honey, or to taste
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- a pinch of salt
- 8 oz. milk of your choice
- 1 tbsp. chopped strawberries
- To make the puree: In a high-speed blender, blend the strawberries, honey, vanilla, and salt until smooth and combined.
- To make the strawberry milk, add 4 tbsp. of the strawberry puree and 1 tbsp. of chopped strawberries to each glass.
- Top with your cold or heated milk of choice. Stir and enjoy!
Strawberry milk for sleep
- has vitamin C and antioxidants that aid in overnight skin health
- rich in B-6 which regulates melatonin
- balances the sleep-wake cycle
Cherries aren’t only delicious, but are one of the few foods that naturally contain melatonin.
Tart cherry juice contains a blissful blend of both melatonin and tryptophan, an essential amino acid that helps boost the body’s serotonin levels. Serotonin plays a
Even better, antioxidant-rich cherries can also aid in post-workout recovery. Studies have shown that tart cherries can . Dealing with sore muscles? This gives even more reason to reach for this pink drink.
Make this: Start sipping this , a vegan “dreamy sleep tonic” that combines tart cherry juice, almond milk, dried rose petals, and the stress-fighting adaptogen, ashwagandha.
Pink moon milk for sleep
- aids in sore muscles and overnight recovery
- naturally contains melatonin
- helps with the production of serotonin
From tea to aromatherapy, lavender is often used in the promotion of restful sleep and relaxation. But instead of diffusing it, why not try drinking it? The
In terms of peaceful slumber, studies have shown that lavender scents
Make this:体育投注网址 Drink this , naturally sweetened with honey and vanilla beans. Just the fragrant scent of vanilla and lavender alone could .
Lavender milk for sleep
- acts as a mild sedative
- increases deep, slow-wave sleep
- promotes relaxation and feeling more rested the next morning
Bananas are great news for overstressed muscles. Magnesium and potassium, both present in the fruit, can have positive effects on sleep and insomnia,
The magnesium in bananas also acts as a natural muscle relaxant, while potassium at treating restless leg syndrome. Add in a healthy dose of tryptophan, and bananas prove to be a triple threat for restful sleep.
Make this:体育投注网址 Try this tasty vegan that’s only two ingredients. But feel free to add regular or nondairy milk, or a touch of honey.
Banana milk for sleep
- has magnesium and potassium which benefit overstressed muscles
- can be effective at treating restless leg syndrome
- regulates the sleep cycle thanks to tryptophan
You have the pick of the rainbow with these colorful, healthy bedtime milks. But it just might taste better when drinking with someone else! So share these recipes with your friends and family and discover a group favorite!
Last medically reviewed on April 20, 2018