At Goucher College, we believe that wellness should be a way of life and has a direct impact on your optimal health and happiness.
Good health means having a balance of emotional, environmental, financial, intellectual, physical, social, and spiritual well-being. It’s easier to do your best when you’re feeling your best. To that end, Goucher has a host of services to support student health and wellness—from counseling and health services (medical and emergency care is provided throughout the academic year) to a full range of wellness resources, , , and recreation opportunities.
What is emotional well-being?
Understanding and respecting your feelings and the feelings of others, managing your emotions in a positive way, and generally feeling positive and enthusiastic about your life.
How can I improve my emotional well-being?
Practice mindfulness by being present in each moment. Mindfulness is more than just a popular trend right now, it’s being aware of what’s going on inside of you and around you.
Take steps to learn how to manage stress and respond to life’s challenges in a positive way. Attending a resilience workshop or check out the ABCs of Stress Management or Self-Soothe Using the Five Senses.
Know your resources: Goucher’s Student Counseling Center is a great on-campus resource if you think you could benefit from professional counseling. You can call 410-337-6481 to make an appointment. There are also several great options in the Towson area.
Don’t know where to start? Make an appointment with Student Support and Outreach through !
COVID-19 Emotional Wellness Resources:
For Student Athletes -
What is environmental well-being?
Understanding 体育投注网址how your environments affect your health and well-being, and living a lifestyle that is respectful of our environment while taking steps to protect our Earth.
How can I improve my environmental well-being?
- Take advantage of the beautiful campus by spending some time in nature each day. Volunteer in the Community Garden on one of their work days!
- Be mindful of the waste you are creating and take steps to try to minimize your impact on the environment. Check out some easy to follow tips that you can implement in your daily life.
- Take control and propose a project of your own. You can apply for funding through the Green Fund to see your idea come to life!
What is financial well-being?
Managing your resources to live within your means, making informed financial decisions, setting realistic goals, and preparing for short-term or long-term emergencies.
How can I improve my financial well-being?
- Create a monthly budget and be mindful of your spending habits. Check out the Financial Literacy page from Goucher’s Financial Aid office for more resources.
- Interested in working on campus? You can search for jobs on Goucher Recruit or visit the CEO in the Information Hub in Van Meter (117) for more information.
What is intellectual well-being?
Maintaining curiosity, valuing lifelong learning, responding positively to intellectual challenges, and discovering your potential to share your gifts with others.
How can I improve my intellectual well-being?
- College is all about exploring your interests and passions, particularly when it comes to your intellectual pursuits. Check out the HUB to find information on careers, study abroad, or community-based learning.
- It’s great to know your strengths and personality style as you start to figure out what your career path may be. The CEO makes it easy with these self-assessment tools.
- Meet with your professors, attend an SI session, or head to ACE for some workshops or one-on-one work.
- COVID-19 Intellectual Wellness Resources
- Being a Student in a Virtual Classroom
What is physical well-being?
Caring for your body to improve overall health and prevent future illnesses.
How can I improve my physical well-being?
- By practicing the principles of SWEET, you can proactively care for your physical well-being, which has a major impact on all other areas of well-being.
- Move a little each day! Whether it’s walking around campus, hiking the trails, playing intramural soccer, or participating in one of our many FREE fitness classes, there are so many ways to incorporate physical activity into your weekly routine.
- Consume responsibly – if you do choose to consume alcohol, limit your amounts and practice safe drinking techniques. Limit or avoid your nicotine use and stay away from vaping!
- Practice safe sex habits and Get Yourself Tested! with free, confidential STI screenings at the Student Health Center. Stop by the Sex In the Dark series for sexual health education.
What is social well-being?
Creating and maintaining healthy relationships, caring for others and letting others care for you, and contributing to your community.
How can I improve my social well-being?
- Consider joining a student club to connect with fellow students who share your interests.
- Get involved in your community! Whether through leadership opportunities on campus or in the Baltimore community through CBL, there’s an option out there for you.
What is spiritual well-being?
The ability to experience and integrate meaning and purpose in life through a person’s connectedness with self, others art, music, literature, nature, or a power greater than oneself.
How can I improve my spiritual well-being?
- Practice a feeling of connectedness to a higher power, whatever that might be for you. The Sacred Space in the Chapel, one of our Labyrinths (outdoor anytime or indoors in Heubeck on Monday evenings), and the Multifaith Prayer and Meditation Space (Bacon 104) are great places to reflect on your spirituality.
- Consider joining a student group that complements your interests. Don’t see what you are looking for? We can help you get started!
- August 5, 2020
Join Goucher Recreation for a special summer schedule of Zoom fitness classes. Our classes are open to all members of the Goucher community, and are designed for all skill and...
- August 10, 2020
体育投注网址Join Goucher Recreation for a special summer schedule of Zoom fitness classes. Our classes are open to all members of the Goucher community, and are designed for all skill...